The quality of indoor air is an important issue in a commercial building. Building construction is done to lower energy consumption, reduce emissions of greenhouse gases, and limit the losses linked to ventilation while preserving good indoor air quality. In this article, we will tell methods to ensure good indoor air quality.
What Type Of Contaminants Are Present In Poor Indoor Air Quality?
Several pollutants cause a reduction in indoor air quality. It can be in the form of chemical or biological.
- Biological contaminants are microorganisms that include mold, mites, and bacteria, that can be delivered to the lungs.
- Chemical contaminants, on the other hand, are gases that are released by combustion into the air. These types of contaminants are in the form of combustion devices, carbon monoxide, tobacco smoke, and certain building materials that contain asbestos.
Airtests is a leading firm that specializes in a broad range of environmental services to keep buildings and occupants in good health. Their air quality tests comprise sample collection, decontamination protocol, laboratory analysis, etc.
Ways To Ensure Good Indoor Air Quality In Commercial Premises
- Select Low-Emitting Products
Decoration and construction materials, when coming in contact with indoor air such as insulators, paints, glues, stains, varnishes, and floor coverings, can lead to pollutant emissions.
Due to this, companies have to focus on low-emitting products. They should use the right cleaning products, and ensure proper ventilation, and HVAC maintenance, to maintain the quality of indoor air.
- Use An Effective Air Exchange
It is important for a commercial building to be equipped with a good quality ventilation system. It is important to know that the insulation of windows and walls can result in tighter constructions and could cause mould growth. Permanent ventilation is needed at the time of the energy renovation of the buildings.
- Perform regular inspection and air quality tests
Schools and commercial buildings are needed to consistently inspect the quality of indoor air. It is required that the opening and vents of the building should be controlled. It is also important to pollutant measurement campaign before people began to work at the place.
- Perform Regular HVAC Inspection And Maintenance:
The HVAC system is the prime concern if you notice issues with indoor air quality. Poorly designed systems can lead to mold growth and inadequate ventilation. It is required to perform the following tasks to maintain HVAC units and improve air quality.
- Perform System tune-ups as it improves the performance of equipment, lessen humidity, and check stuffy air issues.
- Clean the ductwork as it helps eliminate the build-up of contaminants and uncover mold-related issues.
- Humidity control devices to keep moisture at the right levels, prevent bacteria, molds, and restrict the circulation of viruses.
The quality of air in homes and buildings impacts the health and comfort of every person who lives on those premises. Degradation in the health of people will, in turn, result in the degradation of their productivity level. By implementing the above ways, you can ensure good air quality in commercial premises. –